"Conversational Teochew In A Month" is the ideal self-learning course for any English speaker who wish to speak Teochew competently beyond the customary greeting, " 汝食饱了未?" (have you eaten?"). Adapted from the Chinese publication 《潮州话一月通》, originally edited by 林伦伦 and 朱永锴, it contains both written and audio materials.
Using situations in daily life, it introduces commonly-used phrases and expressions through conversations presented in 20 lessons. Each lesson also includes a supplementary vocabulary list. The lessons covered are:
1. Greetings; 2. Introductions; 3. Looking For A Job; 4. Chatting; 5. Relatives; 6. Numbers; 7. Being Guest; 8. Food; 9. Social Customs; 10. Asking For Direction; 11. Taking Public Transport; 12. Shopping; 13. Socialising; 14. At The Post Office; 15. At The Bank; 16. Travel; 17. Seeing The Doctor; 18. Screen Media; 19. Sports; and 20. Congratulatories.
This course is available in two digital formats:
Format 1: mp3 sound file + .srt subtitle (suitable for computer, Android tablet and smartphone use)
Using a suitable mp3 player, you can listen to our audio files while simultaneously following synchronised English and Chinese (Teochew) subtitles. This is a highly effective way of improving your Teochew oral and listening skills.
Note: Not every mp3 player is able to display .srt subtitles. For an enhanced learning experience, we recommend the use of WorkAudioBook audio player, which is specially tailored language learning. Amongst other functions, ii splits audio file into phrases and allows these phrases to be auto-paused and repeated.
- WorkAudioBook application for Windows can be downloaded for free here.
- WorkAudioBook app for Android can be downloaded for free on a trial basis at Google Play Store, or from this link here:
- iPhone and iPad versions of WorkAudioBook are still under development.
Format 2: Audiobook (.epub file) (suitable for iPad, iPhone, Android tablet and smartphone use)
Using a suitable epub3 reader, you can play our audio file and read the English and Chinese (Teochew) text display at the same time, getting the most out of a enriching audio-visual learning experience.
Note: Currently, not every epub 3 reader is able to display Chinese text and/or play attached audio files. For your convenience, we recommend that you read and listen to our audiobook using the Gitden Reader application.
- The Android version of Gitden Reader app can be downloaded for free from Google Play Store or this link here.
- iPhone, iPad version of Gitden Reader is available from iTunes app store or this link here.
Note: Upon the completion of payment, a download link will automatically be sent to the email address you provide. Please be informed that each order comes with a limit of 5 download attempts. Please contact us if any difficulty is encountered in your transaction.
Video sample of Lesson 1: