Theng Hai (variant: Tenghai) (澄海, in Mandarin: Chenghai), was one of historical Teochew prefecture's eight counties. Occupying the Hang-kang (韓江) river delta, it was formed from areas carved out of Hai Yor (now Teo Ann) and Gek Yor in 1563. Theng Hai is today administered as a district of the Swatow (汕頭, Shantou) prefectural-level city. Swatow was part of Theng Hai before it attained the status of a city in 1921.
Map from Qianlong Teochew prefectural gazette (乾隆潮州府志) circa 1762.
Unlike Teo Yor and Gek Yor that were prosperous because of their rice economies, Theng Hai was a poor area inhabited mainly by fishermen. Poverty and oppression drove them to engage in smuggling and piracy during the Ming dynasty, but also to spearhead the development of powerful trading and migratory networks in Siam (Thailand), Singapore and other parts of Southeast Asia after the mid-18th century.
Theng Hai is commonly denoted as "澄邑" on the gravestones of the overseas Teochews with ancestry from here.
Below is a full list of towns & villages in Theng Hai county
Villages, according to township
- 鱷浦都（十三村）： 園前、長橋、月浦長隴、溝頭、前洋新渡、小山兜、西隴紫服菜園、湖頭市、水吼橋、瓦尾、沙溝、山兜、原隴
Cities & market towns （墟市）
Source: Biographies of Overseas-Teochew leaders with History of Teochew districts《南洋潮僑人物志與潮州各縣沿革史》，編著者周漢人，新加坡：中華出版社，1958
You may be interested also in:
- Top 100 Surnames in Teochew
- What Family Meant to the Teochew Forefathers
- The Different Names of Teochew